In the twelfth century, the powerful Hospitallers of Saint John of Jerusalem established their first Libournais Commanderie in the Pomerol commune. Here they built a manor, a hospital for pilgrims on their way to Saint James of Compostela, and a church.
Though the vineyard was virtually abandoned and devastated during the Hundred Years’ War and the English occupation, it was re-established during the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries. The vineyard again suffered during the Wars of Religion. From 1900, though, Pomerol’s wine-growers created a union to defend their appellation. One of their main objectives was to prevent winegrowers in neighboring communes from abusing the Pomerol name by stamping it on their casks.
Pomerol, wine, Poujeaux, Saint, Chateau, Bordeaux