The soil is clay and clayeravel on the east, gravel on the north and north-east, and increasingly sandy towards the west. Near the point where the Dordogne and the Isle converge, Lalande-de-Pomerol shares the sunny, hot, and humid climate of its neighboring AOCs (Saint-Émilion, Pomerol, Fronsac), which is perfect for wine-growing. Lalande-de-Pomerol AOCs are generally richly colored, velvety, powerful, and perfumed, with great finesse thanks to the harmonious blend of grape varieties. The range is quite varied depending on the soils and subsoils in which the vines were cultivated. A few crus that demonstrate this diversity are Chateaux Perron, de Viaud, Haut Chaigneau, Grand Ormeau, and le Clos de l’Eglise.
Latour Bordeaux Wine
The Château Latour vineyard, created around 1680, is one of the oldest in the Médoc. Thanks to the work of the Marquis de Ségur, its owner in the early eighteenth century, the vineyard very quickly acquired an outstanding reputation for the quality of its wines. These benefit from exceptional geological conditions on gravelly outcrops overlooking the Gironde, closer to the river than any other vineyard in the Médoc.
The heart of the vineyard, the Enclos, consists of forty-seven hectares of old vines which are carefully looked after, as only they can produce the great wine of Pauillac. This vineyard is planted with seventy-eight percent Cabernet Sauvignon and seventeen percent Merlot, with the remaining five percent divided between Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot.
The eighteen hectares of land that are outside the Enclos, and vines less than ten years old, that fall just short of the AOC requirements, produce the property’s second wine, Les Forts de Latour.
In 1963 the vineyard’s acquisition by the British group Pearson gave a strong boost to this First Growth, allowing it to invest in the latest technology: this is how Latour, in 1964, became one of the first estates to purchase temperature-controlled stainless steel vats for winemaking.
Wines are matured in the traditional way in new Bordeaux oak casks for seventeen to twenty months. This happy marriage of progress and tradition has allowed Latour to attain a supreme quality.
After thirty years of “English occupation” Château Latour became French once more when it was bought by François Pinault in June 1993.
Latour Martillac Bordeaux Wine
This château owes its name to the tower in its main court-yard: the staircase of a small fort, built in the twelfth century by Montesquieu’s ancestors. Its ruins were probably used to build the noble, horseshoe-shaped residence, of which only the central charterhouse today remains.
Alfred Kressmann, who bought this Château Latour in 1929, changed the name both to avoid confusion with the illustrious Médoc château of the same name and to honor the village where his father, Édouard, had started a wine-shipping business in 1871.
One parcel of land, planted with vines in 1884, is a living proof of this interest: it still contains all the grape varieties that Édouard Kressmann selected to give his “Graves Monopole Dry”—named by the diva Adelina Patti in 1892—the breed, nerve, and fruit which, enhanced by the great age of these irreplaceable vines, characterize this Pessac-Leognan cru.
Alfred wasted no time in restructuring the vineyard, which had been reduced to twelve hectares, eight of which were used to produce white wine, the remaining four to make red. Without touching the oldest parcels, he inverted the proportion by adding Cabernet Sauvignon to the existing Merlot, Malbec, and Petit-Verdot. After being interrupted by World War II, the work was continued by his son Jean, who became the property’s manager in 1940, and inherited it in 1954. Jean realized Alfred’s dream by buying the gravelly plateau that separated the property from the village and gradually increased the vineyard to thirty-eight hectares: twenty-eight for red wine and ten for white.
A Graves Classified Growth for its reds and whites, this property has belonged since 1974 to a family-owned agricultural real estate company run by Loïc and Tristan Kressmann.